Grating Cheese - safely!Safety In Action

Health & Safety

As an employer you have a duty to ensure that your employees come home safe and well and that members of the public are not harmed by their work activities. You must comply with the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and regulations made under it . And, managing health and safety well will reduce the costs of accidents, incidents, ill health and personal injury claims. Many employers do not realise that Indirect costs are often far higher than the obvious ones and often cannot be insured against

You may not need external help to comply with legislation as there is much help available on However the Association of British Insurers (ABI) states that "where external expertise is required only those registered with the Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register (OSHCR) should be utilised. Insurers will be reluctant to accept the opinions of a consultant not on the register."

At Safety In Action we want you to get safety RIGHT, from the start. Our experience includes among others: office and retail activities, embalming and funeral homes, catering services: public houses/restaurants/mobile caterers, bakeries, children's nurseries /playgroups, warehouse facilities, hairdressers, beauty and nail salons, tattooists, leisure facilities, catteries, churches, meat cutting plants and tyre fitters.

New Business Advice
If you are about to start or have just started a business we can give you advice as to what you need to do to meet health and safety requirements, starting with:.

Health and Safety Policy
Required if you have 5 or more employees.
“Your health and safety policy should influence all your activities, including the selection of people, equipment and materials, the way work is done and how you design and provide goods and services. A written statement of your policy and the organisation and arrangements for implementing and monitoring it shows your staff, and anyone else, that hazards have been identified and risks assessed, eliminated or controlled.”

Risk Assessment:
All activities require risk assessment whether you are self employed or an employer, irrespective of the number of employees. If you have 5 or more employees this must be written down
We can carry out risk assessments for you, audit your risk assessments or provide training for your employees to enable them to risk assess the activities within your business.

Display Screen Equipment Assessments
Your DSE and workstations are assessed by considering the workstation, the furniture and equipment in use, the environment affecting the workstation (windows, lighting, office layout, etc), the job being done and the special needs of individual staff. We can offer online training and assessment for £30 or individual onsite visits.

Driver Safety Driving is one of the most dangerous things that employees do. Do you have a driver policy and how do you check your drivers (and their vehicles if they use their own) are compliant? We can provide a driver policy and driver safety packs to help you manage this.

Health and Safety Management Systems
A review of your current system or help to set up a system suited to your business.

Having good health and safety management doesn't just mean stopping people getting killed, injured or ill at work. It can also save you money by minimising the cost (financial and otherwise) of injuries, accidents and property or equipment damage and potentially reduced insurance premiums.

Compliance Audit:
A comprehensive review of your health and safety documentation and training records.
An inspection of your premise to review working practices, structure; work equipment and welfare facilities.

Accident / Incident Investigation
Certain accidents and incidents (dangerous occurrences) must be reported under RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations) and ALL should be recorded. We can investigate accidents or incidents at your workplace to help identify the root cause and what can be done to prevent re occurrence

We can also take care of on-line accident reporting for you.

Competent Person
Every business must get help from a competent person to enable them to meet the requirements of health and safety law. If you don't have an employee who is sufficiently trained and experienced we can act as competent person for you.

Retained Service
Services are offered depending on what you need and your pocket. They range from being on the end of the phone whenever you need us to a set number of visits per year and annual documentation review.

For more information on any of the above telephone 07786622741 or email NOW